Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lady and Nala

One of the last posts I made in Chicago before I went on break was about how badly Blake and I wanted a dog.  A few months before we moved to Bama we found a Great Pryanees named Daisy and would have adopted her if we would have had the room in our Chicago home.  Well it wasn't meant to be.  BUT when we moved to Alabama one of the things Blake and I looked for was a fenced in back yard so Scarlett could play safely outside and Blake could have a dog.  We found one.

No sooner did we get our boxes unpacked We found our companions.  Let me introduce Lady and Nala.  We found these sisters on craigslist at the bargain price of $60 for the pair.  When I saw them I knew Blake wouldn't be able to control himself and that they were already part of our family.  When we went to pick them up they were strictly outside dogs.  The yard they lived in looked like it had NEVER been mowed and they slept in a big whole of red clay they dug out under a tree!  NOT KIDDING.  Their white coats were red with mud and dirt, their tails were covered in burrs.  It was so sad.  After their first night with us it was clear the previous owners were unkind to them.
They wouldn't even come close ANY doorways even to come in from the rain into the garage or shed in the back yard.  It took a lot of love....((mostly by Blakesters cause I can't stand dog smell.  I have the most insane sense of smell))...but they are now fully integrated.  They mostly sleep in the garage but are indoors often keeping Scarlett company.  They are about a year old and each weight about 110lbs which is HUGE but they are so gentle with Scarlett and she LOVES them so much.  She climbs on them and chases them around the dinning room.  I love them too even though I have never really been a dog person and now I can't imagine our family without them.

xoxo
Calista

No comments:

Post a Comment